Lips don’t have oil glands to keep them moist and soft. Also, they don’t contain melanin which provides protection from sun tan. Thus, lips often get parched and cracked. Dry and chapped lips can affect anyone at any time of the year. Chapped lips can be painful, unsightly, uncomfortable and embarrassing too. The biggest problem with chapped lips is that you cannot hide them with lipstick or any other trick. Common signs and symptoms for dry lips include dryness, redness, flaky skin, cracking, splitting, peeling and pain. Chapped lips can occur due to several reasons like dry weather, overexposure to extreme temperature, lip biting, vitamin deficiency and ill-fitting dentures. It can also be caused due to allergies, infections, drugs, cold and flu.
People often think that that chapped and flaky lips is a problem that occurs during winter. But even summers can leave the lips dry and chapped. Hot weather in the summers often leads to dehydration and dryness of the lip. Thus, it is very important to take care of the lips throughout the year. Minor lip dryness can be treated by applying a lip balm or lip scrub. However, it gets quite difficult to treat the inflammation and bleeding which is caused by dry lips. The following home remedies will relieve you from dry lips:
Home Remedies For chapped Lips
- Drinking lots of water is vital for hydrating the body as well as chapped lips. Lack of water is the main reason for chapped lips. Drink at least 2 litres of water daily to get healthy lips.
- It might sound unbelievable but applying mustard oil to the navel is one of the most effective remedies to get rid of dry lips. Apply 2 or 3 drops of mustard oil on your belly button at night to get soft and smooth lips.
- Honey is a natural moisturizer and a healing agent while Vaseline is one of the best skin softeners. Thus the combination of both can give you healthy and pink lips. Apply a generous coating of honey to the lips followed by some Vaseline on top of the honey coated lips. Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and then remove it using damp cotton.
- Rubbing lips with a slice of cucumber will also banish dry and chapped lips. It keeps the lips soft and supple.
- Soak a few rose petals in milk and make a fine paste out of it. Apply this paste daily on the lips to keep them pink and healthy. It also helps to retain the lost color of the lips.
- Buffing lips gently with a mixture of olive oil, sugar and brown sugar also prevents dry lips. Rub the scrub gently for a few minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
- Prepare a mixture of 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon glycerin and 1 teaspoon of castor oil. Apply this mixture to chapped lips and leave it overnight. You will notice a significant improvement on the texture of the lips.
- Aloe Vera is well known for its healing properties, making it an amazing ingredient for chapped lips. It is very effective in strengthening the thin protective oil layer that heals the symptoms of dry lips. Apply aloe vera gel regularly to get smooth lips.
- Olive oil is a well known natural moisturizer and lubricant. Massage a few drops of olive oil on chapped lips, or drink a mixture of water mixed with a teaspoon of olive oil to cure dry lips.
- Coconut oil is a wonderful remedy for dry lips. Apply a small amount of coconut oil to the lips and massage for some minutes twice a day. This cures dry lips and makes the lips pink.
Most importantly do not lick your lips constantly. It might provide temporary relief to dry lips, but it actually make matters worse. Licking lips has the same drying effect as constantly washing hands with soap. Repeated exposure to water strips moisture from the lips and will make it dry and flaky.
Hope these home remedies helped you to get rid of chapped lips. Don’t forget to share your experience with us.