Yeast infections can occur in a variety of places within our bodies not just in the genital region. These areas include the genitals (male and female), the mouth, the skin, and even the intestines. Although yeast infections can be quite troublesome and a big annoyance, there really is no need to run off to the doctor at the first sign of a yeast infection. Many natural ways are available to treat the yeast infections and get rid of the nasty symptoms that come along with it.
Many over the counter anti-fungal creams and ointments are available at your local drug store, all claiming to treat and get rid of any sort of yeast infection that you may have. If you don’t like to pay an expensive price for foreign chemicals to treat your infection, there are a variety of home made natural treatments available right in your own kitchen.
The most well known and common form of yeast infection is a vaginal yeast infection, also known as vaginitis. This is caused when the Candida albicans fungus grows out of control and can be cause by a variety of things including pregnancy, the use of contraceptives, or taking an anti-biotic. Even though this is the most common type of yeast infection, many women may be embarrassed or ashamed to go to the doctor or the local drug store to purchase medication for this problem. Fortunately, there are many natural remedies available to treat this common yeast infection. One thing to keep in mind is that you should always be sure that it is a yeast infection and not something else as many of these treatments are meant specifically for yeast infections. Also, the symptoms you are experiencing, could also be a symptom of a more serious problem such as an STF.
Oral Thrush Yeast Infection – Natural Treatment
An oral yeast infection is commonly known as oral thrush and can occur in the mouth at any age. If this problem is not treated quickly, the infection can spread into the throat and the esophagus. An infected baby can pass the infection onto the mother during breastfeeding.
- The most common treatment for a yeast infection is the use of yogurt with live cultures. Yogurt works to battle Candida growth due to the lactobacillus cultures that work to counteract the fungal growth leading to the yeast infection. Making your own yogurt will most likely have a more positive effect on a yeast infection compared to store bought yogurt. There are also a variety of ways that you can use yogurt in the battle of the yeast. First of all, eating just a half cup of yogurt a day can help control the Candida growth. This is more of a preventative measure to take on a daily basis to keep a yeast infection from occurring anywhere in the body.
- For oral thrush or yeast infection of the skin, garlic can be used as a great treatment, however this method should not be used to treat a vaginal or genital case of a yeast infection. Mix fresh garlic or dilute garlic oil along with Vitamin E oil and add two drops of coconut oil. Once you have these oils blended, apply the oils, or paste to the affected area. The Vitamin E works to prevent the infection from spreading, while the garlic oil works to stop the infection.
- Apple cider vinegar works as another natural remedy for yeast infection. You can add the raw apple cider vinegar to your bath water or wash the affected area with warm water mixed with the apple cider vinegar. Always make sure that the vinegar is raw apple cider vinegar instead of the distilled vinegar. If the vinegar is distilled it will not work. Raw apple cider vinegar will be cloudy and dark while distilled will be clear and clean looking.
Vaginal Yeast Infection – Natural Treatment
- For a vaginal yeast infection, you can dip a tampon in yogurt and insert it into the vagina twice a day until the yeast infection goes away, and for one day after the yeast infection is gone. This method can aggravate a bacterial infection, making it imperative that you know for sure that you are treating a yeast infection before trying this tampon yogurt method.
- Another tampon treatment is to dip a tampon into a solution made up of one pint of water and 15 grams Potassium Sorbate. Insert the tampon into the vagina every night when going to bed and remove in the morning.
- You can also dip a tampon in diluted tea tree oil and insert at night time. Always make sure that the tea tree oil is diluted as the full strength is very strong, and some women may have adverse reactions to the tea tree oil. You can dilute the tea tree oil by mixing a couple drops of it with a teaspoon of olive oil. Tea tree oil has many anti-fungal properties and can be very effective at treating a yeast infection if used properly.
- Apple honey is another natural remedy for a genital yeast infection. You can use it by applying to the outer area of the vagina and leaving on for approximately 15 minutes a day. After 15 minutes, wash the area with warm water.
- A good diet can also work wonders when it comes to fighting and preventing a yeast infection. Be sure to consume a diet that is packed full of vitamins and minerals, non fat dairy, whole grains, and yogurt with live cultures. All of these foods can work together to fight the infection from spreading or from coming back.
Please keep in mind that none of these home made natural remedies have been studied by professionals. These treatments may not work for everyone the same way. As mentioned earlier, you should also be sure that you are treating a yeast infection before trying any of these treatments, otherwise you may cause more harm than good, or you may be suffering from something more severe that will require professional treatment.