Anemia occurs due to lower amount of red blood cells in the body. The red blood cells are those cells, which carries oxygen throughout the body. The main reason for the above cause is the deficiency of minerals, especially iron in the body, which eventually fails to make enough hemoglobin. It affects children and pregnant women frequently. Anemia is caused due to:
- Excessive bleeding during abnormal menstruation in women
- Any therapeutically procedure in treating cancer, which includes radiotherapy, chemotherapy.
- Fall in erythropoietin, which helps in producing red blood cell.
Treatment of Anemia is based on the type and severity of anemia. It can be treated by giving iron supplements, vitamin B-12 pills and medicine. But there are some other homely treatments, which can be provided to the person who gets affected by it. These treatments, which are exclusive of medicines mainly, consist of eating habits of the affected persons. If certain strict diet control are maintained as mentioned below then anemia can be controlled.
- Foods filled with nutrients like iron, potassium, manganese, and folic acids. All these minerals can be found in whole grains foods, seafood, eggs, grapes, green vegetables, nuts, citrus fruits, etc.
- Too much of colas, coffee, tea, beer to be avoided so that they do not block the iron absorption in the body.
- Have apple juice as it contains a lot of iron in it. Accompany this with beet as it has great amount of fiber and potassium in it.
- Another rich iron oriented intake is Sesame seed. Black sesame seeds are good for anemia caused from deficiency of iron.
- Vegetables like spinach (which have vitamins A, B9, C, iron, fiber, calcium) are good for anemia patient and tomatoes (which contains vitamin C and lycopene) are necessary since it helps to absorb the iron intake.
- Fruits like pomegranate which homes protein, carbohydrate, fat, fiber, iron and calcium is best for increasing hemoglobin in blood.
- Having parsley with salads, sandwiches, soups are great choice to fight with anemia. Palm tree fruits, dates which are also rich in calcium, manganese, iron increases hemoglobin in the blood.
- Having diet mixed with raisins, wholegrain, legumes, and nuts can enrich minerals inside the body. Soups made from gourds also provide ingredients to protect from anemia.
- Apart from plant intake, one can also opt for heme iron which one can get from eating organ meat like liver. Liver, especially of chicken contains iron, vitamin B12, copper, phosphorus and zinc.
Instead of depending on medicines and pills if proper diet can be maintained as mentioned in above points then one can effectively keep self away from anemia.
Apart from the diet, performing yoga can also cure the chronic anemia and also helps in strengthening the immune system in the body to fight against anemia. Some of the most common yoga methods that can be performed are :
- Permoning “Pranayam” increases the production of red blood cells and increase the life span of the cells.
- Another type of breathing exercise is “Ujjayi”, which is performed with nostrils in a slow continuous manner.
- Suryaved Pranayam can also be done after the above-mentioned asana.
- At the end of all three breathing yoga or asana, finish the process by doing “Kapal Bhati”.
- “Sarvangasana”, “Paschimottanasana” and “Shavasana” are all physical yoga which works with all body parts in certain postures which in turn helps the body to produce more blood cells to fight with anemia.
So, a proper combination of diet along with the above mentioned exercises regularly at home will surely keep anemia away.